Drones at SMSP
APPROVAL TO FLY
The permission for use at Sydney Motorsport Park (SMSP) of Drones, Remote Piloted Aircraft (RPA), unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and Model Aircraft will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Unless specifically permitted by SMSP, UAVs are not permitted to be used and doing so could result in immediate eviction from the circuit. This rule applies regardless of the size or use of those UAVs.
Drone approval will be supplied to professional working media or commercial filming crews only, and proof of commission/connection to an event promoter will need to be submitted along with the proper documentation (see below). Approval for the use of a drone for the acquisiton of personal footage will not be approved.
ALL drones permitted to fly on SMSP grounds must be manned by a two-person team; a Drone Operator and either Camera Operator (preferred) or a ground spotter. Sub-2kg drones are not exempt from this policy.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply to the ARDC for permission to film using a UAV no less than one week from the event, using the Drone Application form HERE.
- The names and contact details of the Drone Operator and Camera Operator/Ground Spotter (two-person team minimum)
- Details of your filming plan, including the type of drone you are using
- Your current certification from CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) to operate or control the UAV
- Details of your $20 million public liability insurance
- Evidence of your work engagement with/approval of the event promoter
Alternatively, you can email us on email@example.com